Professor Ian Williamson
- Land administration, spatial data infrastructures (cadastre)
Professor Williamson's teaching and research is concerned with cadastral, land and geographic information systems, land administration and spatial data infrastructures, in both developed and developing countries. He has published extensively on these topics. He has undertaken research or consultancies world-wide including for AusAID, the United Nations and the World Bank. He is a Member of the Order of Australia (AM), a Fellow of the Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering Australia (FTSE), a Fellow of the Institution of Surveyors Australia Inc., a Fellow of the Institution of Engineers Australia, a Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, an Honorary Fellow of the Mapping Sciences Institute, Australia and an Honorary Member of the International Federation of Surveyors (FIG). He was Chairperson of FIG Commission 7 (Cadastre and Land Management) 1994-98 and Director United Nations Liaison for the FIG from 1998 - 2002.
He is currently a member of the Executive and Chair, Working Group 3 (Cadastre), UN sponsored Permanent Committee on GIS Infrastructures for Asia and the Pacific. At Melbourne he has been President of the Academic Board and Pro-Vice-Chancellor, and is currently Head of the Department of Geomatics and works closely with the Centre for Spatial Data Infrastructure and Land Administration. Awarded the Centenary Medal by the Prime Minister for service to Australian society in research and geomatics engineering and surveying 2003.
- Williamson I. Is complacency the biggest threat to modern cadastres?. Coordinates. Centre for Geoinformation technologies. 2015, Vol. XI, Issue 4.
- Kalantari Soltanieh S, Rajabifard A, Olfat H, Williamson I. Geospatial Metadata 2.0-An approach for Volunteered Geographic Information. COMPUTERS ENVIRONMENT AND URBAN SYSTEMS. Pergamon. 2014, Vol. 48.
- Olfat H, Kalantari Soltanieh SMKS, Rajabifard A, Senot H, Williamson I. A GML-based Approach to Automate Spatial Metadata Updating. International Journal of Geographical Information Science. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2013, Vol. 27, Issue 2.
- Rajabifard A, Williamson I, Jazayeri I, Kalantari Soltanieh SMKS. Building on the third dimension. Geospatial World. Geospatial Media and Communications. 2013, Vol. 3, Issue 11.
- Kalantari Soltanieh SMKS, Rajabifard A, Olfat H, Williamson I. Crowd-sourcing metadata for VGI. 16th AGILE Conference on Geographic Information Science. Association of Geographic Information Laboratories for Europe. 2013.
- Bennett R, Tambuwala N, Rajabifard A, Wallace J, Williamson I. On recognizing land administration as critical, public good infrastructure. Land Use Policy. Elsevier Science. 2013, Vol. 30.
- Rajabifard A, Kalantari Soltanieh SMKS, Williamson I. Spatially Enabled Land Administration; Paradigm Shift in Land Information Management. Annual World Bank Conference on Land and Poverty 2013. World bank policy research working papers. 2013.
- Aien A, Kalantari Soltanieh SMKS, Rajabifard A, Williamson I, Wallace J. Towards integration of 3D legal and physical objects in cadastral data models. Land Use Policy. Elsevier Science. 2013, Vol. 35.
- Aien A, Kalantari Soltanieh SMKS, Rajabifard A, Williamson I, Bennett R. Utilising data modelling to understand the structure of 3D cadastres. Journal of Spatial Science. Spatial Sciences Institute. 2013, Vol. 58, Issue 2.
- Rajabifard A, Williamson I, Kalantari Soltanieh SMKS. A National Infrastructure for Managing Land Information: Research Information. 1. Centre for Spatial Data Infrastructures and Land Administration, University of Melbourne. 2012.
- Williamson I, Rajabifard A, Kalantari Soltanieh SMKS, Wallace J. AAA Land Information: Accurate, Assured and Authoritative. 8th FIG Regional Conference. International Federation of Surveyors. 2012.
- Tambuwala N, Rajabifard A, Bennett R, Williamson I, Wallace J. Authoritative Land Information and Australian Property Markets. FIG Working Week 2012. FIG (International Federation of Surveyors). 2012.
- Bennett R, Tambuwala N, Rajabifard A, Williamson I, Wallace J. Contemporary Land Administration: The Importance of Being Infrastructure. FIG Working Week 2012. FIG (International Federation of Surveyors). 2012.
- Aien A, Kalantari Soltanieh SMKS, Rajabifard A, Williamson I, Shojaei D. Developing and Testing a 3D Cadastral Data Model- A Case Study in Australia. ISPRS Annals of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences. ISPRS. 2012, Vol. 1-4.
- Tambuwala N, Rajabifard A, Bennett R, Williamson I, Wallace J. Inter-governmental land information asymmetries in Australia. Journal of Spatial Science. Spatial Sciences Institute. 2012, Vol. 57, Issue 1.
Level: 03 Room: B305
Engineering Block B, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 83444431
F: +61 3 93474128
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile