Dr Malka Halgamuge
- Biological Effects of Radio Frequency and Extremely Low-Frequency Electromagnetic Fields (Public Health)
- Data Science / Big Data / Machine Learning
- Prediction of Natural Disasters (Flood and Bushfire)
Dr Malka N. Halgamuge is a Research Fellow / Scientist in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering of University of Melbourne and Adjunct Professor at the Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT), India. She obtained her PhD from the same department. She is the Founder and Director at the SenseRadiation Pty Ltd, since July 2015. SenseRadiation Pty Ltd provides electromagnetic radiation risk assessment and prediction services for community, industry and the government including councils. She also works as Electro Magnetic Radiation (EMR) Consultant since January 2014. She also a member of the Electromagnetic Radiation Safety Committee, The University of Melbourne, since Sep 2013.
She has published more than 80 articles attracting over 748 Citations. Her Research Gate: RG Score = 31.75. One of her papers has been selected as a highly cited paper by ISI's Essential Science Indicators (May 2014). She currently co-supervises a group of 2 PhD students and she has co-supervised 3 PhD student to completion (2013 &; 2015) at the University of Melbourne as the main supervisor.
Awarded the CAS President's International Fellowship Initiative (PIFI) from Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Bejing, China (2017), Incoming Leaders Fellowship from Australia India Institute @ Delhi (2016), Next Step Initiative Fellowship (2015), Australia-China Young Scientist Fellowship (2014), Dyason Fellowship to undertake research at Department of Epidemiology, University of California (UCLA), Los Angeles, USA (2013). Early Career Researcher (ECR) Award (2013) from Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. Two of the papers she has co-authored with her PhD students received the Best Paper Award (2012) and Best Student Paper Award (2011). Awarded the Vice-Chancellor's Engagement Award (2010) and Vice-Chancellor's Knowledge Transfer Award (2008) for her research at the University of Melbourne. She also was awarded the Solander Fellowship (2007 and 2008) for research collaboration with the Departments of Neurosurgery and Radiation Physics, Lund University. She was among the short listed applicants for both 2009 and 2010 LOreal Australia for Women in Science Fellowship, out of over 200 female scientists applied in Australia.
She is the
Malka's research has few themes: modelling and exploring of
- Delgoda D, Malano H, Saleem SK, Halgamuge M. A novel generic optimization method for irrigation scheduling under multiple objectives and multiple hierarchical layers in a canal network. ADVANCES IN WATER RESOURCES. Pergamon. 2017, Vol. 105.
- Halgamuge M, Nirmalathas A. Analysis of large flood events: Based on flood data during 1985-2016 in Australia and India. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF DISASTER RISK REDUCTION. Elsevier BV. 2017, Vol. 24.
- Halgamuge M. Machine Learning for Bioelectromagnetics: Prediction Model using Data of Weak Radiofrequency Radiation Effect on Plants. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications. 2017, Vol. 8, Issue 11.
- Halgamuge M. Review: Weak radiofrequency radiation exposure from mobile phone radiation on plants. ELECTROMAGNETIC BIOLOGY AND MEDICINE. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2017, Vol. 36, Issue 2.
- Halgamuge M. The use and analysis of anti-plagiarism software: Turnitin tool for formative assessment and feedback. COMPUTER APPLICATIONS IN ENGINEERING EDUCATION. 2017, Vol. 25, Issue 6.
- Delgoda D, Malano H, Saleem SK, Halgamuge M. Irrigation control based on model predictive control (MPC): Formulation of theory and validation using weather forecast data and AQUACROP model. ENVIRONMENTAL MODELLING & SOFTWARE. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 78.
- Wijesundera I, Halgamuge M, Nirmalathas A, Nanayakkara T. MFPT calculation for random walks in inhomogeneous networks. PHYSICA A-STATISTICAL MECHANICS AND ITS APPLICATIONS. Elsevier BV. 2016, Vol. 462.
- Wijesundera I, Halgamuge M, Nanayakkara T, Nirmalathas A. Natural Disasters, When Will They Reach Me?. . Springer. 2016.
- Delgoda D, Saleem SK, Malano H, Halgamuge M. Root zone soil moisture prediction models based on system identification: Formulation of the theory and validation using field and AQUACROP data. AGRICULTURAL WATER MANAGEMENT. Elsevier. 2016, Vol. 163.
- Hareuveny R, Sudan M, Halgamuge M, Yaffe Y, Tzabari Y, Namir D, Kheifets L. Characterization of Extremely Low Frequency Magnetic Fields from Diesel, Gasoline and Hybrid Cars under Controlled Conditions. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH AND PUBLIC HEALTH. Molecular Diversity Preservation International. 2015, Vol. 12, Issue 2.
- Halgamuge M. Radio Hazard Safety Assessment for Marine Ship Transmitters: Measurements Using a New Data Collection Method and Comparison with ICNIRP and ARPANSA Limits. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH AND PUBLIC HEALTH. Molecular Diversity Preservation International. 2015, Vol. 12, Issue 5.
- Halgamuge M, Yak SK, Eberhardt JL. Reduced Growth of Soybean Seedlings After Exposure to Weak Microwave Radiation From GSM 900 Mobile Phone and Base Station. BIOELECTROMAGNETICS. John Wiley & Sons. 2015, Vol. 36, Issue 2.
- Halgamuge M. Analysis of shipboard high frequency electromagnetic fields. Radiation Protection in Australasia. Australasian Radiation Protection Society. 2014, Vol. 31, Issue 2.
- Abeyrathne C, Halgamuge M, Farrell P, Skafidas E. Corrigendum to "Comparison of corrected calibration independent transmission coefficient method to estimate complex permittivity" Sens. Actuators A: Phys. 189 (2013) 466-473. Sensors and Actuators A: Physical. Elsevier. 2014, Vol. 206.
- Abeyrathne C, Halgamuge M, Farrell P, Skafidas E. Dielectric properties of liquid phase molecular clusters using the external field method: molecular dynamics study. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2014, Vol. 16.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile