Professor Nelson Lam
- Performance modelling of infrastructure in extreme events (seismic impact collision)
Nelson Lam, Associate Professor and Reader in Civil Engineering at The University of Melbourne, is an internationally recognized expert in structural dynamics, earthquake engineering and protective technology. In the past 20 years, he has been researching and consulting widely in this field and has published some 200 technical articles which include some 80 journal articles. His achievement in research and knowledge transfer in this field was recognized by the award of the Chapman Medal (1999), the Warren Medal (2006) by Engineers Australia, Best Paper Award (2004-2007) by the ISET Journal of Earthquake Technology and Chapman Medal (2010). He is chief investigator of numerous research programs that have won ARC Discovery and Linkage Funding Awards. At University of Melbourne, he is co-ordinator of research higher degree programs in Department of Infrastructure Engineering and is co-ordinator of master coursework programs in civil and structural engineering. His early career was with Scott Wilson International as structural engineer in their Hong Kong Office throughout the 1980’s and attained British chartered engineer status (MICE, MIStructE) during that period. He was awarded the degree of PhD in structural engineering at the University of Melbourne in 1993, master degree in concrete structures at Imperial College of Science & Technology, London in 1982 and bachelor degree in civil engineering with first class honours at the University of Leeds, England in 1981.
- Sun J, Lam N, Zhang L, Ruan D, Gad E. Computer Simulation of Contact Forces Generated by Impact. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF STRUCTURAL STABILITY AND DYNAMICS. World Scientific Publishing Co. 2017, Vol. 17, Issue 1.
- Pathirana M, Lam N, Perera S, Zhang L, Ruan D, Gad E. Damage modelling of aluminium panels impacted by windborne debris. JOURNAL OF WIND ENGINEERING AND INDUSTRIAL AERODYNAMICS. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 165.
- Shahi R, Lam N, Gad E, Wilson J, Watson K. Seismic assessment of cold-formed steel stud bracing wall panels using direct displacement based design approach. BULLETIN OF EARTHQUAKE ENGINEERING. Springer Verlag. 2017, Vol. 15, Issue 3.
- Shahi R, Lam N, Gad E, Wilson J, Watson K. Seismic Performance Behavior of Cold-Formed Steel Wall Panels by Quasi-static Tests and Incremental Dynamic Analyses. JOURNAL OF EARTHQUAKE ENGINEERING. Imperial College Press. 2017, Vol. 21, Issue 3.
- Mehdipanah A, Lumantarna E, Lam N, Goldsworthy H, Tsang H-H, Wilson JL, Gad E. Seismic vulnerability assessment of irregular reinforced concrete buildings in Australia. 24th Australian Conference on the Mechanics of Structures and Materials (ACMSM). 2017. Editors: Hao H, Zhang C.
- Perera S, Lam N, Pathirana M, Zhang L, Ruan D, Gad E. Use of static tests for predicting damage to cladding panels caused by storm debris. Journal of Building Engineering. 2017, Vol. 12.
- Mehdipanah A, Lam N, Lumantarna E. Analytical Simulation of Limited Ductile RC Beam-Columns. 2016 Australian Earthquake Engineering Society Conference (AEES). Australian Earthquake Engineering Society. 2016.
- Sivanerupan S, Wilson JL, Gad EF, Lam N. Analytical study of point fixed glass facade systems under monotonic in-plane loading. ADVANCES IN STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING. Multi-Science Publishing. 2016, Vol. 19, Issue 4.
- Tsang HH, Lumantarna E, Lam N, Wilson JL, Gad E. Annualised collapse risk of soft-storey building with precast RC columns in Australia. 24th Australasian Conference on the Mechanics of Structures and Materials (ACMSM). 2016.
- Mehdipanah A, Lam N, Lumantarna E. Behaviour of Buildings Featuring Transfer Beams in the Regions of Low to Moderate Seismicity. 2016 Australasian Structural Engineers Conference (ASEC). Engineers Australia. 2016.
- Perera S, Lam N, Pathirana M, Zhang L, Ruan D, Gad E. Deterministic solutions for contact force generated by impact of windborne debris. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF IMPACT ENGINEERING. Pergamon. 2016, Vol. 91.
- Tiwari R, Lam N, Lumantarna E. Displacement Based Design of Bridge Abutments. 2016 Australian Earthquake Engineering Society Conference (AEES). Australian Earthquake Engineering Society. 2016.
- Yacoubian M, Lam N, Lumantarna E, Wilson JL. Effects of Podium Interferences of Shear Force Distributions in RC Walls Supporting Tall Buildings. 2016 Australasian Structural Engineers Conference (ASEC). Engineers Australia. 2016.
- Tsang HH, Menegon SJ, Lumantarna E, Lam N, Wilson JL, Gad EF, Goldsworthy H. Framework for Seismic Vulnerability Assessment of Reinforced Concrete Buildings in Australia. 2016 Australian Earthquake Engineering Society Conference (AEES). Australian Earthquake Engineering Society. 2016.
- Tang Y, Lam N, Lumantarna E, Tsang HH. Generation of Synthetic Earthquake Accelerograms based on up-to-date Seismological Ground Motion Models. 2016 Australian Earthquake Engineering Society Conference (AEES). Australian Earthquake Engineering Society. 2016.
Level: 02 Room: B205a
Engineering Block B, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 83447554
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile