Professor Colin Duffield
- Infrastructure Procurement (Private financing)
- Risk Management and Procurement (Contracts, delivery systems)
- Structural Dynamics (High Rise, domestic)
Colin is Professor of Engineering Project Management and Civil Engineering Discipline Leader in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering, at The University of Melbourne. He is also a Board member of Infrastructure Australia and a Fellow of the Law School (where he delivers a master level unit in infrastructure procurement). He is a recognised international thought leader in the efficient procurement of public infrastructure and the incorporation of private finance as a mechanism for achieving value for money outcomes.
Colin has extensive experience in the governance of long term contracts and the interaction between policy, technical matters, risk management, financing and contractual arrangements. This expertise has been gained through: an involvement in infrastructure delivery for public and private clients (both as a practitioner and researcher); work on policy via secondment to Treasury and Finance, Victoria; as an adviser to projects on risk and project structuring; as an expert witness; and as an independent reviewer and researcher of major engineering contracts.
Colin’s research has been widely cited in Australia and Internationally by industry, government and peak independent commentators.
- Atmo GU, Duffield C, Zhang L, Wilson DI. Comparative performance of PPPs and traditional procurement projects in Indonesia. International Journal of Public Sector Management. 2017, Vol. 30, Issue 2.
- Atmo G, Duffield C, Zhang L, Wilson D. Comparative performance of PPPs and traditional procurement projects in Indonesia. International Journal of Public Sector Management. 2017, Vol. 30, Issue 2.
- Duffield C, Wilson D. Delivering Australian Roads with PPPs– Global management of business risks. People and Places in Project Management Research. 2017. Editors: Young M.
- Duffield C, Atmo G, Zarei H. Financing and procuring major infrastructure: A comparison of three international PPP style projects. People and Places in Project Management Research. 2017. Editors: Young M.
- Kafle B, Zhang L, Mendis P, Herath N, Maizuar M, Duffield C, Thompson RG. Monitoring the Dynamic Behavior of The Merlynston Creek Bridge Using Interferometric Radar Sensors and Finite Element Modeling. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF APPLIED MECHANICS. Imperial College Press. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 1.
- Mandiartha P, Duffield C, Razelan ISBM, Ismail ABH. Risk management, governance and financing issues in Public Private Partnerships – Transport projects. FGIC 1st Conference on Governance & Integrity, 2017 “Innovation & Sustainability Through Governance”. 2017.
- Mandiartha P, Duffield C. A balanced approach to project management in partnering types of contract: a public private partnerships framework. 6th International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management (IEOM). IEEE. 2016.
- Maghsoudi S, Duffield C, Wilson D. A practical tool for evaluation of innovation outcomes in building projects. International Journal of Innovation Science. 2016, Vol. 8, Issue 4.
- Sofi M, Lumantarna E, Duffield C, Mendis P. Effects of Interior Partition Walls on Natural Period of High Rise Buildings. International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics. World Scientific Publishing Co. 2016.
- He W, Tang W, Wei Y, Duffield C, Lei Z. Evaluation of Cooperation during Project Delivery: Empirical Study on the Hydropower Industry in Southwest China. JOURNAL OF CONSTRUCTION ENGINEERING AND MANAGEMENT. ASCE - American Society of Civil Engineers. 2016, Vol. 142, Issue 2.
- Maghsoudi S, Duffield C, Wilson D. In Pursuit of Innovation Value in Building Projects. International Journal of Innovation Science. Multi-Science Publishing. 2016, Vol. 8, Issue 1.
- Maghsoudi S, Duffield C, Wilson D. Innovation in Infrastructure Projects: An Australian Perspective. International Journal of Innovation Science. Emerald. 2016, Vol. 8, Issue 2.
- Mandiartha P, Duffield C, Thompson R, Wigan MR. Measuring pavement maintenance effectiveness using Markov Chains analysis. Structure and Infrastructure Engineering. 2016.
- Pelham N, Duffield C. Mega-project governance – a case study in to the governance of a successfully delivered project. Engineering Project Organization Conference. Engineering Project Organization Society. 2016. Editors: Kaminsky J, Zerjav V.
- Zhang L, Maizuar M, Mendis P, Duffield C, Thompson R. Monitoring the Dynamic Behaviour of Concrete Bridges Using Non-Contact Sensors (IBIS-S). Applied Mechanics and Materials. Trans Tech Publications. 2016, Vol. 846.
Level: 02 Room: D212
Engineering Block D, Parkville
University of Melbourne
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile