Associate Professor Russell Thompson
- Disaster Management
- Transport Engineering
- Transport Modelling
- Urban Freight
Russell is an Associate Professor in Transport Engineering in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering at the University of Melbourne in Australia. His research areas are urban freight, resilient transport systems and intelligent transport systems.
He has over 15 years of experience in urban freight research. Russell has been involved in a number of local and international studies relating to urban freight, including the European Union’s Best Urban Freight Solutions (BESTUFS) project and the OECD report on urban distribution.
Russell was a founding Director and has been the Vice President of the Institute for City Logistics based in Kyoto since 1999. He is also a Team Leader of the Volvo Research and Education Foundation’s Centre of Excellence in Sustainable Urban Freight Systems. He has been involved in several studies that have estimated the economic, environmental and safety benefits of performance based standards. Russell has published over 10 books and 50 refereed publications in the field of urban freight. He is currently involved in a number of projects involving autonomous freight vehicles.
Russell leads the Transport research program in the Centre of Disaster Management and Public Safety (CDMPS) and coordinates projects relating to the disruption and recovery of traffic networks, traffic guidance systems and humanitarian logistics.
- Sugiyama T, Cole R, Thompson R, Sahlqvist S, De Sa TH, Carver A, Astell-Burt T. Area-level socio-economic disparities in active and sedentary transport: Investigating the role of population density in Australia. JOURNAL OF TRANSPORT & HEALTH. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 6.
- Maizuar M, Zhang L, Miramini S, Mendis P, Thompson R. Detecting structural damage to bridge girders using radar interferometry and computational modelling. STRUCTURAL CONTROL & HEALTH MONITORING. John Wiley & Sons. 2017, Vol. 24, Issue 10.
- Asadi Bagloee S, Sarvi M, Thompson R, Rajabifard A. Identifying Achilles-heel roads in real-sized networks. JOURNAL OF MODERN TRANSPORTATION. Dr Dietrich Steinkopff Verlag. 2017, Vol. 25, Issue 1.
- Kaviani Arani A, Thompson R, Rajabifard A. Improving regional road network resilience by optimised traffic guidance. TRANSPORTMETRICA A-TRANSPORT SCIENCE. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2017, Vol. 13, Issue 9.
- Saghapour T, Moridpour S, Thompson R. Measuring cycling accessibility in metropolitan areas. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORTATION. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2017, Vol. 11, Issue 5.
- Mandiartha P, Duffield C, Thompson R, Wigan MR. Measuring pavement maintenance effectiveness using Markov Chains analysis. STRUCTURE AND INFRASTRUCTURE ENGINEERING. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2017, Vol. 13, Issue 7.
- Saghapour T, Moridpour S, Thompson R. Measuring Walking Accessibility in Metropolitan Areas. TRANSPORTATION RESEARCH RECORD. U.S. National Research Council, Transportation Research Board. 2017, Issue 2661.
- Ronald N, Navidikashani Z, Wang Y, Rigby M, Jain S, Kutadinata R, Thompson R, Winter S. Mobility Patterns in Shared, Autonomous, and Connected Urban Transport. Disrupting Mobility: Impacts of Sharing Economy and Innovative Transportation on Cities. Springer International Publishing. 2017. Editors: Meyer G, Shaheen S.
- Kafle B, Zhang L, Mendis P, Herath N, Maizuar M, Duffield C, Thompson R. Monitoring the Dynamic Behavior of The Merlynston Creek Bridge Using Interferometric Radar Sensors and Finite Element Modeling. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF APPLIED MECHANICS. Imperial College Press. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 1.
- Watrobski J, Malecki K, Kijewska K, Iwan S, Karczmarczyk A, Thompson R. Multi-Criteria Analysis of Electric Vans for City Logistics. SUSTAINABILITY. MDPI AG. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 8.
- Jain S, Ronald N, Thompson R, Winter S. Predicting susceptibility to use demand responsive transport using demographic and trip characteristics of the population. TRAVEL BEHAVIOUR AND SOCIETY. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 6.
- Ronald N, Thompson R, Winter S. Simulating ad-hoc demand-responsive transportation: a comparison of three approaches. TRANSPORTATION PLANNING AND TECHNOLOGY. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2017, Vol. 40, Issue 3.
- Sun X, Liu Z-Y, Thompson R, Bie Y-M, Weng J-X, Chen S-Y. A multi-objective model for cordon-based congestion pricing schemes with nonlinear distance tolls. JOURNAL OF CENTRAL SOUTH UNIVERSITY. Springer. 2016, Vol. 23, Issue 5.
- Asadi Bagloee S, Sarvi M, Rajabifard A, Thompson R, Saberi M. A solution to the road network design problem for multimodal flow. 19th IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC). IEEE. 2016.
- Cheng C, Thompson R. Application of boolean logic and GIS for determining suitable locations for Temporary Disaster Waste Management Sites. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF DISASTER RISK REDUCTION. Elsevier BV. 2016, Vol. 20.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile