Associate Professor Russell Thompson
- Disaster Management
- Transport Engineering
- Transport Modelling
- Urban Freight
Russell is an Associate Professor in Transport Engineering in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering at the University of Melbourne in Australia. His research areas are urban freight, resilient transport systems and intelligent transport systems.
He has over 15 years of experience in urban freight research. Russell has been involved in a number of local and international studies relating to urban freight, including the European Union’s Best Urban Freight Solutions (BESTUFS) project and the OECD report on urban distribution.
Russell was a founding Director and has been the Vice President of the Institute for City Logistics based in Kyoto since 1999. He is also a Team Leader of the Volvo Research and Education Foundation’s Centre of Excellence in Sustainable Urban Freight Systems. He has been involved in several studies that have estimated the economic, environmental and safety benefits of performance based standards. Russell has published over 10 books and 50 refereed publications in the field of urban freight. He is currently involved in a number of projects involving autonomous freight vehicles.
Russell leads the Transport research program in the Centre of Disaster Management and Public Safety (CDMPS) and coordinates projects relating to the disruption and recovery of traffic networks, traffic guidance systems and humanitarian logistics.
- Maizuar M, Zhang L, Miramini S, Mendis P, Thompson R. Detecting structural damage to bridge girders using radar interferometry and computational modelling. Structural Control and Health Monitoring. 2017.
- Ronald N, Navidikashani Z, Wang Y, Rigby M, Jain S, Kutadinata R, Thompson R, Winter S. Mobility Patterns in Shared, Autonomous, and Connected Urban Transport. Disrupting Mobility: Impacts of Sharing Economy and Innovative Transportation on Cities. Springer International Publishing. 2017. Editors: Meyer G, Shaheen S.
- Sun X, Liu Z-Y, Thompson R, Bie Y-M, Weng J-X, Chen S-Y. A multi-objective model for cordon-based congestion pricing schemes with nonlinear distance tolls. JOURNAL OF CENTRAL SOUTH UNIVERSITY. Springer. 2016, Vol. 23, Issue 5.
- Cheng C, Thompson R. Application of boolean logic and GIS for determining suitable locations for Temporary Disaster Waste Management Sites. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction. 2016, Vol. 20.
- Kutadinata R, Thompson R, Winter S. Cost-efficient Co-modal Ride-sharing Scheme Through Anticipatory Dynamic Optimisation. 23rd ITS World Congress (ITS). 2016.
- Ronald N, Yang J, Thompson R. Exploring Co-Modality Using On-Demand Transport Systems. 9th International Conference on City Logistics. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 12. Editors: Taniguchi E, Thompson RG.
- Aljohani K, Thompson R. Impacts of logistics sprawl on the urban environment and logistics: Taxonomy and review of literature. JOURNAL OF TRANSPORT GEOGRAPHY. Pergamon. 2016, Vol. 57.
- Thompson R, Maizuar M, Zhang L, Mendis P, Lowell K. Investigating the Effects of High Productivity Vehicles on Road Infrastructure Using Weigh-in-Motion Technology. Journal of Traffic and Logistics Engineering. 2016, Vol. 4, Issue 2.
- Mandiartha P, Duffield C, Thompson R, Wigan MR. Measuring pavement maintenance effectiveness using Markov Chains analysis. Structure and Infrastructure Engineering. 2016.
- Zhang L, Maizuar M, Mendis P, Duffield C, Thompson R. Monitoring the Dynamic Behaviour of Concrete Bridges Using Non-Contact Sensors (IBIS-S). Applied Mechanics and Materials. Trans Tech Publications. 2016, Vol. 846.
- Taniguchi E, Thompson R, Yamada T. New opportunities and challenges for city logistics. 9th International Conference on City Logistics. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 12. Editors: Taniguchi E, Thompson RG.
- Saghapour T, Moridpour S, Thompson R. Public transport accessibility in metropolitan areas: A new approach incorporating population density. JOURNAL OF TRANSPORT GEOGRAPHY. Pergamon. 2016, Vol. 54.
- Hassall K, Thompson R. What are the safety benefits of Australian high productivity vehicles when compared to the conventional heavy vehicle fleet?. 9th International Conference on City Logistics. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 12. Editors: Taniguchi E, Thompson RG.
- Rajabifard A, Thompson R, Chen Y. An intelligent disaster decision support system for increasing the sustainability of transport networks. NATURAL RESOURCES FORUM. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing. 2015, Vol. 39, Issue 2.
- Iwan S, MacHaris C, Thompson R. Application Of Genetic Algorithms In Optimizing The Logistics Network In An Urban Bicycle Delivery System. Transportation Research Board 94th Annual Meeting. National Academy of Sciences. 2015.
Level: 03 Room: 306
Engineering Block C, Parkville
University of Melbourne
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile