Dr Lihai Zhang
- Civil Engineering (Life-cycle performance assessment of road structures; non-destructive testing; impact dynamics; risk-based cost-benefit analysis)
- Engineering computational biology (Bone fracture healing; cartilage mechanics; nutrient transport)
Dr Lihai Zhang is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering at The University of Melbourne. He is also an Adjunct Associate Professor in the Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine Nursing and Health Sciences at Monash University, and a Visiting Professor in Earthquake Engineering Research & Test Centre at Guangzhou University, China. Dr Zhang is currently the Founding Director of Melbourne-Shenzhen Rehabilitation Research Centre and Executive Committee member of Australasia Investment and Trade Association. He is also the Associate Editor of Electronic Journal of Structure Engineering and Australian Journal of Mechanical Engineering, Editorial Board Member of International Journal of Applied Mechanics.
Dr Zhang received his Master of Engineering degree from the National University of Singapore with Research Scholarship in 1996, and then worked in the industry in the area of Civil Engineering and Information Technology application for nearly 10 years. Subsequently, he went on the Melbourne International Research Scholarship to further his PhD study at the University of Melbourne, where he obtained his PhD in Biomedical Engineering in 2009. Dr Zhang has extensive experience in multidisciplinary research and program development with successful track record in both Civil Engineering and Biomedical Engineering areas. His work on characterising the impact of heavy truck loading on the bridge structural performance using Engineering Reliability approach in conjunction with Non-destructive Testing techniques has built strong links with industry both nationally and internationally (e.g. VicRoads, Roads and Maritime Services, Metro Trains). Dr Zhang is also innovatively applying his Civil Engineering knowledge (e.g. Engineering Reliability and Porous Media Theory) in his Biomedical Engineering research. This gives him a leading advantage and a unique angle to solving outstanding human health problems in the areas of osteoporotic bone fracture healing and osteoarthritis.
He has published more than 70 international journal papers, conference papers and book chapters. He has been awarded 20 National and International Competitive Grants (Four “Category 1” and sixteen “Category 2-4”) with a total of more than AU$7.3 million. Most importantly, Dr Zhang has gained international recognition for his research work. He is the Lead Chief Investigator of China Aerospace Science & Industry Corporation Research Grant, Australia-Indonesia Centre Tactical Research Project Grant, Johnson & Johnson Medical Grant, and AOTrauma Asia Pacific Grant.
Dr Zhang has chaired and been invited to serve in international scientific committees of many conferences that include International Symposium on Frontiers in Applied Mechanics, International Conference on Computational Methods, and Australasian Conference on Computational Mechanics. He is the chairman of The 3rd International Symposium on Frontiers in Applied Mechanics (1-4 December 2016, Melbourne Australia).
At University of Melbourne, Dr Zhang is Co-ordinator, Bachelor of Science (Civil Systems) and the member of Departmental Education Committee. He has supervised/co-supervised 18 PhD students (8 completed), and 4 Master by research students (2 completed). He also has two Post-doctoral Research Fellows working under his supervision.
- Sun J, Lam N, Zhang L, Ruan D, Gad E. Computer Simulation of Contact Forces Generated by Impact. International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics. World Scientific Publishing Co. 2017, Vol. 17, Issue 1.
- Pathirana M, Lam N, Perera S, Zhang L, Ruan D, Gad E. Damage modelling of aluminium panels impacted by windborne debris. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics. 2017, Vol. 165.
- Yang Y, Zhou R, Ge Y, Zou X, Zhang L. Flutter characteristics of twin-box girder bridges with vertical central stabilizers. ENGINEERING STRUCTURES. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 133.
- Kafle B, Zhang L, Mendis P, Herath N, Maizuar M, Duffield C, Thompson RG. Monitoring the Dynamic Behavior of The Merlynston Creek Bridge Using Interferometric Radar Sensors and Finite Element Modeling. International Journal of Applied Mechanics. Imperial College Press. 2017.
- Herath N, Mendis P, Zhang L. A probabilistic study of ground motion simulation for Bangkok soil. Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering. 2016.
- Kashani J, Zhang L, Gu Y, Oloyede A. An innovative approach to computational simulation of the functional characteristics of poroelastic materials illustrated with diffusion into articular cartilage. 7th International Conference on Computational Methods (ICCM). 2016. Editors: Liu GR, Li S.
- Afara IO, Singh S, Moody H, Zhang L, Oloyede A. Characterization of Articular Cartilage Recovery and Its Correlation with Optical Response in the Near-Infrared Spectral Range. Cartilage. 2016.
- Zhang L, Miramini S, Richardson M, Ebeling P, Little D, Yang Y, Huang Z. Computational modelling of bone fracture healing under partial weight-bearing exercise. Medical Engineering and Physics. Pergamon. 2016.
- Perera S, Lam N, Pathirana M, Zhang L, Ruan D, Gad E. Deterministic solutions for contact force generated by impact of windborne debris. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF IMPACT ENGINEERING. Pergamon. 2016, Vol. 91.
- Yang Y, Zhou R, Ge Y, Zhang L. Experimental studies on VIV performance and countermeasures for twin-box girder bridges with various slot width ratios. JOURNAL OF FLUIDS AND STRUCTURES. Academic Press. 2016, Vol. 66.
- Wijayasundara M, Mendis P, Zhang L, Sofi M. Financial assessment of manufacturing recycled aggregate concrete in ready-mix concrete plants. RESOURCES CONSERVATION AND RECYCLING. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 109.
- Miramini S, Zhang L, Richardson M, Mendis P, Ebeling P. Influence of fracture geometry on bone healing under locking plate fixations: A comparison between oblique and transverse tibial fractures. MEDICAL ENGINEERING & PHYSICS. Pergamon. 2016, Vol. 38, Issue 10.
- Zhou R, Yang Y, Zhang L, Ge Y. Interference Effect on Stationary Aerodynamic Performance between Parallel Bridges. International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics. World Scientific Publishing Co. 2016.
- Thompson R, Maizuar M, Zhang L, Mendis P, Lowell K. Investigating the Effects of High Productivity Vehicles on Road Infrastructure Using Weigh-in-Motion Technology. Journal of Traffic and Logistics Engineering. 2016, Vol. 4, Issue 2.
- Zhang L, Maizuar M, Mendis P, Duffield C, Thompson R. Monitoring the Dynamic Behaviour of Concrete Bridges Using Non-Contact Sensors (IBIS-S). Applied Mechanics and Materials. Trans Tech Publications. 2016, Vol. 846.
Level: 02 Room: D210
Engineering Block D, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 83447179
F: +61 3 83444616
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile