Dr Avril Horne
Dr Avril Horne is a research fellow in the Environmental Hydrology and Water Resources Group in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering. Avril has experience across a range of water resource management challenges having spent time in consulting and government and academia. She works on a range of interdisciplinary projects related to water resource management. Avril was an assistant director at the ACCC advising on the water trade rules for the Murray Darling Basin Plan. She has been involved in a number of projects looking at water licencing and allocation systems. Avril has managed a number of large scale resource assessment projects, including the Australian National Inventory of Stressed Catchments. Avril returned to academia in 2014, and is currently managing a research project looking to provide tools to assist environmental water managers make decisions around how and when to release environmental flows. This project uses a stochastic optimization approach to understand the implications of climatic uncertainty on the 'ideal' environmental flow release. She is also the lead editor for the book "Water for the Environment" to be released in January 2017, bringing together the interdisciplinary and international knowledge around the complete process of environmental water management. Research interests - environmental water managementn and allocation - water resource management and policy - tradeoff decisisons in water resource management - water trade
- Horne A, Szemis JM, Webb JA, Kaur S, Stewardson MJ, Bond N, Nathan R. Informing Environmental Water Management Decisions: Using Conditional Probability Networks to Address the Information Needs of Planning and Implementation Cycles.. Environ Manage. Springer Verlag. 2017.
- Horne A, Kaur S, Szemis J, MacHado Costa A, Webb J, Nathan R, Stewardson M, Lowe L, Boland N. Using optimization to develop a "designer" environmental flow regime. ENVIRONMENTAL MODELLING & SOFTWARE. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 88.
- Horne A, Webb J, Costelloe J, Kaur S, Casas-Mulet R, Szemis J, Costa A, Stewardson M, Nathan R, Boland N, Webb J. Optimization to Support Seasonal Environmental Watering Decisions. 11th International Symposium on Ecohydraulics (ISE). The University of Melbourne. 2016. Editors: Lyon JP.
- Horne A, Szemis J, Kaur S, Webb J, Stewardson M, MacHado Costa A, Boland N. Optimization tools for environmental water decisions: A review of strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities to improve adoption. ENVIRONMENTAL MODELLING & SOFTWARE. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 84.
- Szemis J, Webb J, Costelloe J, Horne A, Casas-Mulet R, Kaur S, Stewardson M, Stewardson M, Webb J. Representing ecological response in environmental water management decision support tools: conditional probability networks. 11th International Symposium on Ecohydraulics (ISE). The University of Melbourne. 2016. Editors: Lyon JP.
- Horne A, MacHado Costa A, Boland N, Kaur S, Szemis J, Stewardson M. Developing a seasonal environmental watering tool. 36th Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium (HWRS). 2015.
- Graszkiewicz, Horne A, Neal, Evans, Dettrick. The practicalities of implementing net volume licensing of water use in mines and quarries – a discussion based on Victorian case studies. Proceedings Water in Mining 2013. The Australian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy. 2013.
- Horne A, Pawley S, Tingay A, Morden R. Establishing a market for farm dams – what are the necessary considerations?. 56th AARES annual conference. Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society. 2012.
- Horne A, Murrihy E, Neal B, Lang S, Falcon N, Stewardson M. Optimisation as a tool to assist environmental portfolio management. Proceedings of the 34th Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium, HWRS 2012. 2012.
- Horne A, Freebairn J, O'Donnell E. Establishment of environmental water in the Murray-Darling Basin: An analysis of two key policy initiatives. Australian Journal of Water Resources. Institution of Engineers Australia. 2011, Vol. 51, Issue 1.
- Horne A, Stewardson M, Freebairn J, McMahon T. Using an economic framework to inform management of environmental entitlements. River Research and Applications. John Wiley & Sons. 2010, Vol. 26, Issue 6.
- Horne A, Freebairn J, Stewardson M. Environmental response curves - a first step in developing environmental demand curves. Proceedings of Water Down Under 2008 incorporating 31st Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium & 4th International Conference on Water Resources and Environment Research. Institution of Engineers Australia. 2008.
- Horne A, Purkey, McMahon T. Purchasing Water for the Environment in Unregulated Systems - What Can We Learn From the Columbia Basin?. Australian Journal of Water Resources. Institution of Engineers Australia. 2008, Vol. 12, Issue 2.
- Horne A, Purkey A, McMahon TA. Purchasing water for the environment in unregulated systems - What can we learn from the Columbia Basin?. Australian Journal of Water Resources. Institution of Engineers Australia. 2008, Vol. 12, Issue 2.
- Clifton C, Daamen C, Horne A, Sherwood J. Water, land use change and ‘new forests’: what are the challenges for south-western Victoria?. Australian Forestry. Institute of Foresters of Australia. 2006, Vol. 69, Issue 2.
Level: 04 Room: 410
Engineering Block D, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 (03)83441585
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile