Dr Avril Horne
Dr Avril Horne is a water policy specialist, with a rare combination of experience across economics, hydrology and policy. With fifteen years’ experience across a range of interdisciplinary projects, she has spent time in consulting, government and academia. As Assistant Director in the water group at the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, she was heavily involved in the development of the water trading rules for the Murray Darling Basin Plan. Avril returned to academia in 2014, and is currently working on projects developing tools and systems to assist efficient and adaptive environmental water management; allocation mechanisms and institutional arrangements for environmental water; and reallocation policies between water sectors. Avril is the lead editor for “Water for the Environment: from policy and science to implementation and management”, a book that includes contributions from over 50 leading scientists and practitioners internationally. Research interests - environmental water management and allocation - water resource management and policy - water allocation - tradeoff decisions in water resource management - water markets and trade
- Wang J, Nathan R, Horne A, Peel M, Wei Y, Langford K. Evaluating four downscaling methods for assessment of climate change impact on ecological indicators. ENVIRONMENTAL MODELLING & SOFTWARE. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 96.
- Horne A, Szemis JM, Webb J, Kaur S, Stewardson M, Bond N, Nathan R. Informing Environmental Water Management Decisions: Using Conditional Probability Networks to Address the Information Needs of Planning and Implementation Cycles. Environmental Management. Springer. 2017.
- Horne A, Kaur S, Szemis J, MacHado Costa A, Webb J, Nathan R, Stewardson M, Lowe L, Boland N. Using optimization to develop a "designer" environmental flow regime. ENVIRONMENTAL MODELLING & SOFTWARE. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 88.
- Horne A, Kaur S, Szemis J, Costa A, Stewardson M, Nathan R, Boland N, Webb J. OPTIMIZATION TO SUPPORT SEASONAL ENVIRONMENTAL WATERING DECISIONS. 11TH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ECOHYDRAULICS. 2016.
- Horne A, Szemis J, Kaur S, Webb J, Stewardson M, MacHado Costa A, Boland N. Optimization tools for environmental water decisions: A review of strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities to improve adoption. ENVIRONMENTAL MODELLING & SOFTWARE. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 84.
- Szemis J, Horne A, Kaur S, Stewardson M, Webb J. REPRESENTING ECOLOGICAL RESPONSE IN ENVIRONMENTAL WATER MANAGEMENT DECISION SUPPORT TOOLS: CONDITIONAL PROBABILITIES NETWORKS. 11TH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ECOHYDRAULICS. 2016.
- Horne A, MacHado Costa A, Boland N, Kaur S, Szemis J, Stewardson M. Developing a seasonal environmental watering tool. 36th Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium (HWRS). 2015.
- Graszkiewicz, Horne A, Neal, Evans, Dettrick. The practicalities of implementing net volume licensing of water use in mines and quarries – a discussion based on Victorian case studies. Proceedings Water in Mining 2013. The Australian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy. 2013.
- Horne A, Pawley S, Tingay A, Morden R. Establishing a market for farm dams – what are the necessary considerations?. 56th AARES annual conference. Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society. 2012.
- Horne A, Murrihy E, Neal B, Lang S, Falcon N, Stewardson M. Optimisation as a tool to assist environmental portfolio management. Proceedings of the 34th Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium, HWRS 2012. 2012.
- Horne A, Freebairn J, O'Donnell E. Establishment of environmental water in the Murray-Darling Basin: An analysis of two key policy initiatives. Australian Journal of Water Resources. Institution of Engineers Australia. 2011, Vol. 51, Issue 1.
- Horne A, Stewardson M, Freebairn J, McMahon T. Using an economic framework to inform management of environmental entitlements. River Research and Applications. John Wiley & Sons. 2010, Vol. 26, Issue 6.
- Horne A, Freebairn J, Stewardson M. Environmental response curves - a first step in developing environmental demand curves. Proceedings of Water Down Under 2008 incorporating 31st Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium & 4th International Conference on Water Resources and Environment Research. Institution of Engineers Australia. 2008.
- Horne A, Purkey, McMahon T. Purchasing Water for the Environment in Unregulated Systems - What Can We Learn From the Columbia Basin?. Australian Journal of Water Resources. Institution of Engineers Australia. 2008, Vol. 12, Issue 2.
- Horne A, Purkey A, McMahon TA. Purchasing water for the environment in unregulated systems - What can we learn from the Columbia Basin?. Australian Journal of Water Resources. Institution of Engineers Australia. 2008, Vol. 12, Issue 2.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile