Associate Professor Dongryeol Ryu
- Environmental Remote Sensing (Remote Sensing, Soil Moisture, Evapotranspiration)
- Flood Forecasting and Monitoring Flood Inundation (Flood, Flood Plain)
- Hydrological Sciences (Soil Moisture, Evapotranspiration, Water Accounting)
Dr Dongryeol Ryu is the Academic Program Coordinator of the Master of Engineering (Environmental) program. Dr Ryu is a Senior Lecturer in Environmental Hydrology and Water Resources (EHWR) in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering at The University of Melbourne. He leads the Hydrology and Remote Sensing group in the Department with a special interest in surface water hydrology and microwave remote sensing. Dr Ryu is currently working on developing microwave soil moisture retrieval algorithms and on investigating an innovative method of flood forecasting by using various satellite observations, which are funded by ARC. He is also a past recipient of a NASA Earth System Science Fellowship and the University of California, Irvine Medal.
- Crow WT, Han E, Ryu D, Hain CR, Anderson MC. Estimating annual water storage variations in medium-scale (2000-10000km2) basins using microwave-based soil moisture retrievals. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences. Copernicus GmBH. 2017, Vol. 21, Issue 3.
- Eom J, Seo K-W, Ryu D. Estimation of Amazon River discharge based on EOF analysis of GRACE gravity data. REMOTE SENSING OF ENVIRONMENT. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 191.
- Akuraju VR, Ryu D, George B, Ryu Y, Dassanayake K. Seasonal and inter-annual variability of soil moisture stress function in dryland wheat field, Australia. AGRICULTURAL AND FOREST METEOROLOGY. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 232.
- Jian J, Ryu D, Costelloe J, Su CH. Towards hydrological model calibration using river level measurements. Journal of Hydrology: Regional Studies. 2017, Vol. 10.
- Kucharska D, Webb J, Costelloe J, Stewardson M, Casas-Mulet R, Ryu D, Costelloe J, Sims N, Stewardson M, Lee V. Changes in Inundation Patterns for Anastomosed River Landscape Units at Decadal Scales. 11th International Symposium on Ecohydraulics (ISE). The University of Melbourne. 2016. Editors: Lyon JP.
- Jongjin B, Jongmin P, Ryu D, Minha C. Geospatial blending to improve spatial mapping of precipitation with high spatial resolution by merging satellite-based and ground-based data. HYDROLOGICAL PROCESSES. John Wiley & Sons. 2016, Vol. 30, Issue 16.
- Brocca L, Pellarin T, Crow WT, Ciabatta L, Massari C, Ryu D, Su C, Rudiger C, Kerr Y. Rainfall estimation by inverting SMOS soil moisture estimates: A comparison of different methods over Australia. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing. 2016, Vol. 121, Issue 20.
- Wang G, Hollar D, Sayger S, Zhu Z, Buckeridge J, Li J, Chong J, Duffield C, Ryu D, Hu W. Risk considerations in the use of unmanned aerial vehicles in construction applications. Journal of Risk Analysis and Crisis Response. Atlantis Press. 2016, Vol. 6, Issue 4.
- Lintern A, Vietz GJ, Flatley A, Webb J, Rutherfurd I, Ryu D, Liu S, Bende-Michl U, Leahy P, Wilson P, Western A. Using a data-driven approach to understand the interaction between catchment characteristics and water quality responses. 8th Australian Stream Management Conference (ASM). River Basin Management Society. 2016.
- Pipunic RC, Ryu D, Costelloe JF, Su C-H. An evaluation and regional error modeling methodology for near-real-time satellite rainfall data over Australia. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing. 2015, Vol. 120, Issue 20.
- Pipunic R, Ryu D, Walker JP. Assessing Near-Surface Soil Moisture Assimilation Impacts on Modeled Root-Zone Moisture for an Australian Agricultural Landscape. AGU Chapman Conference on Remote Sensing of the Terrestrial Water Cycle. American Geophysical Union. 2015, Vol. 206. Editors: Lakshmi V, Alsdorf D, Anderson M, Biancamaria S, Cosh M, Entin J, Huffman G, Kustas W, Vanoevelen P, Painter T, Parajka J, Rodell M, Rudiger C.
- Nolan A, Park S, O'Connell MO, Fuentes S, Ryu D, Chung H. Automated detection and segmentation of vine rows using high resolution UAS imagery in a commercial vineyard. 21st International Congress on Modelling and Simulation. Modelling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand. 2015. Editors: Weber T, McPhee MJ, Anderssen RS.
- Park S, Nolan A, Ryu D, Fuentes S, Hernandez E, Chung H, O'Connell M. Estimation of crop water stress in a nectarine orchard using high-resolution imagery from unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV). 21st International Congress on Modelling and Simulation. Modelling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand. 2015. Editors: Weber T, McPhee MJ, Anderssen RS.
- Mohammadi A, Costelloe J, Ryu D. Evaluation of remotely sensed evapotranspiration products in a large scale Australian arid region: Cooper Creek, Queensland. 21st International Congress on Modelling and Simulation. Modelling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand. 2015. Editors: Weber T, McPhee MJ, Anderssen RS.
- RÜdiger C, Dharssi I, McCaskill M, Merlin O, Monerris A, Morse-Mcnabb E, Renzullo L, Ryu D, Wagner W. High-resolution soil moisture monitoring across Australia : Opportunities for farming applications. The Art and Science of Water - 36th Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium, HWRS 2015. 2015.
Level: 04 Room: 406A
Engineering Block D, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 83447115
F: +61 3 83446215
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile