Dr Rackel San Nicolas
- Alkali activated materials for constructions (Alkali-activation, Geopolymers, Constructions, Slag, Fly ash)
- Durability of concrete (Durability, Additions, Performance-based approach)
- Smart materials for construction (Self healing concretes, bioconcrete)
Rackel San Nicolas is working to develop reliable test methods for geopolymer durability, and to understand the relationship between geopolymer concrete microstructure, mechanical properties and durability. Her work is sponsored in part by the CO2CRC and in part by Zeobond.
- Rupasinghe M, San Nicolas R, Mendis P, Sofi M, Ngo T. Investigation of strength and hydration characteristics in nano-silica incorporated cement paste. Cement and Concrete Composites. Pergamon. 2017, Vol. 80.
- Bernal SA, San Nicolas R, Van Deventer J, Provis J. Alkali-activated slag cements produced with a blended sodium carbonate/sodium silicate activator. ADVANCES IN CEMENT RESEARCH. ICE Publishing. 2016, Vol. 28, Issue 4.
- Un CH, Sanjayan JG, San Nicolas R. Comparison of creep behaviour of geopolymer concrete and OPC concrete. 24th Australasian Conference on the Mechanics of Structures and Materials (ACMSM). 2016. Editors: Hao H, Zhang C.
- Walkley B, San Nicolas R, Sani M, Rees GJ, Hanna JV, Van Deventer J, Provis JL. Phase evolution of C-(N)-A-S-H/N-A-S-H gel blends investigated via alkali-activation of synthetic calcium aluminosilicate precursors. CEMENT AND CONCRETE RESEARCH. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 89.
- Walkley B, San Nicolas R, Sani M, Gehman JD, Van Deventer J, Provis J. Phase evolution of Na2O-Al2O3-SiO2-H2O gels in synthetic aluminosilicate binders. DALTON TRANSACTIONS. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 45, Issue 13.
- Jayalath A, San Nicolas R, Sofi M, Shanks R, Ngo T, Aye L, Mendis P. Properties of cementitious mortar and concrete containing micro-encapsulated phase change materials. CONSTRUCTION AND BUILDING MATERIALS. Elsevier BV. 2016, Vol. 120.
- Walkley B, San Nicolas R, Sani M, Gehman JD, Van Deventer J, Provis JL. Synthesis of stoichiometrically controlled reactive aluminosilicate and calcium-aluminosilicate powders. POWDER TECHNOLOGY. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 297.
- Tennakoon C, San Nicolas R, Sanjayan JG, Shayan A. Thermal effects of activators on the setting time and rate of workability loss of geopolymers. Ceramics International. Elsevier. 2016, Vol. 42, Issue 16.
- Tennakoon C, Sagoe-Crentsil K, San Nicolas R, Sanjayan JG. Characteristics of Australian brown coal fly ash blended geopolymers. CONSTRUCTION AND BUILDING MATERIALS. Elsevier BV. 2015, Vol. 101.
- Un CH, Sanjayan JG, San Nicolas R, Van Deventer J. Creep behaviour of geopolymer. 10th International Conference on the Physical Properties and Application of Advanced Materials (ICPMAT). 2015.
- Walkley B, San Nicolas R, Bernal SA, Provis J, Van Deventer J. Effect of MgO incorporation on the structure of synthetic alkali-activated calcium aluminosilicate binders. 27th Biennial National Conference of the Concrete Institute of Australia (CONCRETE). 2015.
- Un CH, Sanjayan JG, San Nicolas R, Van Deventer J. Mini-Beam Test for Assessing the Creep Trend of Paste, Mortar, and Concrete. 10th International Conference on Mechanics and Physics of Creep, Shrinkage, and Durability of Concrete and Concrete Structures (CONCREEP). 2015.
- Rupasinghe M, San Nicolas R, Mendis P. Modelling the Reactivity of Nano-silica in Cement Paste. 27th Biennial National Conference of the Concrete Institute of Australia (CONCRETE). 2015.
- Un CH, Sanjayan JG, San Nicolas R, Van Deventer J. Predictions of long-term deflection of geopolymer concrete beams. CONSTRUCTION AND BUILDING MATERIALS. Elsevier BV. 2015, Vol. 94.
- Bernal SA, Provis J, Myers RJ, San Nicolas R, Van Deventer J. Role of carbonates in the chemical evolution of sodium carbonate-activated slag binders. MATERIALS AND STRUCTURES. Springer. 2015, Vol. 48, Issue 3.
Level: 03 Room: 318
Engineering Block D, Parkville
University of Melbourne
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile