Professor Alexander Babanin
- Professor - Ocean Engineering
- Co-Director, Australia-China Centre for Maritime Engineering
- Adjunct Professor, Swinburne University of Technology
Professor Alexander Babanin obtained a Bachelor of Science (Physics) from the Lomonosov Moscow State University in Russia in 1980; a Master of Science in Physical Oceanography in 1983 and a Doctor of Philosophy in Physics and Mathematics in 1990.
He worked in the Marine Hydrophysical Institute, Sebastopol (Russia) before relocating to Australia in 1996.
He has worked at the Australian Defence Force Academy in Canberra, The University of Adelaide in South Australia and Swinburne University of Technology.
In early 2016 he commenced at the University of Melbourne.
His areas of expertise and research are wind-generated waves, maritime engineering, air-sea interactions, ocean turbulence, ocean mixing, climate, remote sensing of the ocean.
He has produced more than 200 publications.
- Jiang H, Mouche A, Wang H, Babanin A, Chapron B, Chen G. Limitation of SAR quasi-linear inversion data on swell climate: An example of global crossing swells. Remote Sensing. MDPI AG. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 2.
- Liu Q, Babanin A, Guan C, Zieger S, Sun J, Jia Y. Calibration and Validation of HY-2 Altimeter Wave Height. JOURNAL OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC TECHNOLOGY. American Meteorological Society. 2016, Vol. 33, Issue 5.
- Stopa JE, Ardhuin F, Babanin A, Zieger S. Comparison and validation of physical wave parameterizations in spectral wave models. OCEAN MODELLING. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 103.
- Chalikov D, Babanin A. Comparison of linear and nonlinear extreme wave statistics. ACTA OCEANOLOGICA SINICA. Springer. 2016, Vol. 35, Issue 5.
- Sanina EV, Suslov SA, Chalikov D, Babanin A. Detection and analysis of coherent groups in three-dimensional fully-nonlinear potential wave fields. OCEAN MODELLING. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 103.
- Nose T, Babanin A, Ewans K. DIRECTIONAL ANALYSIS AND POTENTIAL FOR SPECTRAL MODELLING OF INFRAGRAVITY WAVES. 35th ASME International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering. ASME International. 2016, Vol. 7.
- Thomson J, Fan Y, Stammerjohn S, Stopa J, Rogers WE, Girard-Ardhuin F, Ardhuin F, Shen H, Perrie W, Shen H, Ackley S, Babanin A, Liu Q, Guest P, Maksym T, Wadhams P, Fairall C, Persson O, Doble M, Graber H, Lund B, Squire V, Gemmrich J, Lehner S, Holt B, Meylan M, Brozena J, Bidlot J-R. Emerging trends in the sea state of the Beaufort and Chukchi seas. OCEAN MODELLING. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 105.
- Jiang H, Babanin A, Chen G. Event-Based Validation of Swell Arrival Time. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL OCEANOGRAPHY. American Meteorological Society. 2016, Vol. 46, Issue 12.
- Babanin A, Wake GG, McConochie J. FIELD OBSERVATION SITE FOR AIR-SEA INTERACTIONS IN TROPICAL CYCLONES. 35th ASME International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering. ASME International. 2016, Vol. 3.
- Alberello A, Chabchoub A, Gramstad O, Babanin A, Toffoli A. Non-Gaussian properties of second-order wave orbital velocity. COASTAL ENGINEERING. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 110.
- Chalikov D, Babanin A. Nonlinear sharpening during superposition of surface waves. OCEAN DYNAMICS. Springer Verlag. 2016, Vol. 66, Issue 8.
- Shabani B, Babanin A, Baldock TE. Observations of the directional distribution of the wind energy input function over swell waves. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-OCEANS. American Geophysical Union. 2016, Vol. 121, Issue 2.
- Zhang HD, Sanina E, Babanin A, Guedes Soares C. On the analysis of 2D nonlinear gravity waves with a fully nonlinear numerical model. Wave Motion. 2016.
- Gramstad O, Babanin A. The generalized kinetic equation as a model for the nonlinear transfer in third-generation wave models. OCEAN DYNAMICS. Springer Verlag. 2016, Vol. 66, Issue 4.
- Alberello A, Chabchoub A, Babanin A, Monty J, Elsnab J, Lee J, Bitner-Gregersen EM, Toffoli A. THE VELOCITY FIELD UNDERNEATH LINEAR AND NONLINEAR BREAKING ROGUE WAVES. 35th ASME International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering. ASME International. 2016, Vol. 3.
Level: 04 Room: 409
Engineering Block C, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 83441538
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile