Dr Maria Vasardani
Dr Maria Vasardani is a Lecturer in Geomatics, at the Dept of Infrastructure Engineering at The University of Melbourne. Her research interests are in qualitative spatial representation and reasoning, and spatial cognitive engineering. Maria was born in Athens, Greece were she completed her BSc in Geology at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. She holds a PhD in Spatial Information Science and Engineering from the University of Maine, USA (2009).During that time she was also a Research Assistant for Dr. Max Egenhofer, specializing on qualitative spatial reasoning with complex 2D spatial regions. She also holds a MSc in Geographic Information Science from University College London (UCL) in London, UK, where she worked on GIS Web Map Services for emergency response. After completing her MSc and before returning to academia, she worked for GI-Geointelligence, a GIS consulting and customized software solutions company in Athens. Previously to commencing as a Lecturer at the University of Melbourne, Maria completed a post-doctoral research in the same department, as well as at the Department of Industrial Engineering, at Dalhousie University, Canada, employing spatial analysis for a biomass flow related project. Her current focus is on spatial cognition and in natural language processing for the extraction of geographic information and more generally, in the retrieval of geographic information from various sources, including the web and social media. She is also looking into smarter communication between people and machines (eg., in cases of emergency response, or navigation applications) by enabling automatic services to deal with qualitative descriptions of geographic places.
- Stock K, Jones CB, Vasardani M. Speaking of location: Future directions in geospatial natural language research—introduction. Lecture Notes in Geoinformation and Cartography. 2018, Issue 198809. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-63946-8_34
- Truelove M, Khoshelham K, McLean S, Winter S, Vasardani M. Identifying Witness Accounts from Social Media Using Imagery. ISPRS INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF GEO-INFORMATION. MDPI AG. 2017, Vol. 6, Issue 4. DOI: 10.3390/ijgi6040120
- Winter S, Tomko M, Vasardani M, Richter K-F, Khoshelham K. Indoor localization and navigation independent of sensor based technologies. SIGSPATIAL Special. Association for Computing Machinery. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1145/3124104.3124109
- Kim J, Vasardani M, Winter S. Landmark Extraction from Web-Harvested Place Descriptions. KUNSTLICHE INTELLIGENZ. IOS Press. 2017, Vol. 31, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1007/s13218-016-0467-3
- Zhou S, Winter S, Vasardani M, Zhou S. Place descriptions by landmarks. JOURNAL OF SPATIAL SCIENCE. Spatial Sciences Institute. 2017, Vol. 62, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1080/14498596.2016.1196623
- Kim J, Vasardani M, Winter S. Similarity matching for integrating spatial information extracted from place descriptions. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF GEOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION SCIENCE. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2017, Vol. 31, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1080/13658816.2016.1188930
- Vasardani M, Stirling L, Winter S. The preposition at from a spatial language, cognition, and information systems perspective. Semantics and Pragmantics. Linguistic Society of America. 2017, Vol. 10, Issue 3. DOI: 10.3765/sp.10.3
- Gupta S, Vasardani M, Winter S. Conventionalized gestures for the interaction of people in traffic with autonomous vehicles. 9th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on Computational Transportation Science (IWCTS). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016. DOI: 10.1145/3003965.3003967
- Nittel S, Bodum L, Clarke KC, Gould M, Raposo P, Sharma R, Vasardani M. Emerging Technological Trends likely to Affect GIScience in the Next Twenty Years. Advancing Geographic Information Science: The Past and Next Twenty Years. GSDI Association Press. 2016. Editors: Onsrud H, Kuhn W.
- Kim J, Vasardani M, Winter S. From descriptions to depictions: A dynamic sketch map drawing strategy. SPATIAL COGNITION AND COMPUTATION. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. 2016, Vol. 16, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1080/13875868.2015.1084509
- Truelove M, Vasardani M, Winter S. Introducing a framework for automatically differentiating witness accounts of events from social media. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. Rheinisch-Westfaelische Technische Hochschule Aachen * Lehrstuhl Informatik V. 2016, Vol. 1570.
- Vasardani M, Winter S. Place Properties. Advancing Geographic Information Science: The Past and Next Twenty Years. GSDI Association Press. 2016. Editors: Onsrud H, Kuhn W.
- Wijewardena G, Vasardani M, Winter S. Towards indoor localization and navigation independent of sensor based technologies. Proceedings of the 8th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on Indoor Spatial Awareness, ISA 2016. 2016. DOI: 10.1145/3005422.3005423
- Dittrich A, Vasardani M, Winter S, Baldwin T, Liu F. A Classification Schema for Fast Disambiguation of Spatial Prepositions. 6th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on GeoStreaming (IWGS). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2015. Editors: Banaeikashani F, Zhang C, Hendawi A. DOI: 10.1145/2833165.2833167
- Chan K, Vasardani M, Winter S. Getting Lost in Cities: Spatial Patterns of Phonetically Confusing Street Names. TRANSACTIONS IN GIS. Blackwell. 2015, Vol. 19, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1111/tgis.12093
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile