Dr Maria Vasardani
Dr Maria Vasardani is a researcher in the Dept of Infrastructure Engineering at The University of Melbourne. Her research interests are in qualitative spatial representation and reasoning and in the past Dr Vasardani has worked on formal frameworks of topological relations between complex spatial regions. Maria was born in Athens, Greece were she completed her BSc in Geology at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. She holds a PhD in Spatial Information Science and Engineering from the University of Maine, USA (2009).During that time she was also a Research Assistant for Dr. Max Egenhofer, specializing on qualitative spatial reasoning with complex 2D spatial regions. She also holds a MSc in Geographic Information Science from University College London (UCL) in London, UK, where she worked on GIS Web Map Services for emergency response. After completing her MSc and before returning to academia, she worked for GI-Geointelligence, a GIS consulting and customized software solutions company in Athens. Previously to commencing as a Research Fellow at the University of Melbourne, Maria completed a post-doctoral research in the Department of Industrial Engineering, at Dalhousie University, Canada, employing spatial analysis for a biomass flow related project. Her current focus is on spatial cognition and in natural language processing for the extraction of geographic information and more generally, in the retrieval of geographic information from various sources, including the web and social media. She is also looking into smarter communication between people and machines (eg., in cases of emergency response, or navigation applications) by enabling automatic services to deal with qualitative descriptions of geographic places. For more information on the project she is working on, please visit: http://telluswhere.net/people/
- Kim J, Vasardani M, Winter S. Similarity matching for integrating spatial information extracted from place descriptions. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF GEOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION SCIENCE. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2017, Vol. 31, Issue 1.
- Gupta S, Vasardani M, Winter S. Conventionalized gestures for the interaction of people in traffic with autonomous vehicles. 9th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on Computational Transportation Science (IWCTS). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016.
- Nittel S, Bodum L, Clarke KC, Gould M, Raposo P, Sharma R, Vasardani M. Emerging Technological Trends likely to Affect GIScience in the Next Twenty Years. Advancing Geographic Information Science: The Past and Next Twenty Years. GSDI Association Press. 2016. Editors: Onsrud H, Kuhn W.
- Kim J, Vasardani M, Winter S. From descriptions to depictions: A dynamic sketch map drawing strategy. SPATIAL COGNITION AND COMPUTATION. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. 2016, Vol. 16, Issue 1.
- Truelove M, Vasardani M, Winter S. Introducing a framework for automatically differentiating witness accounts of events from social media. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. 2016, Vol. 1570.
- Zhou S, Winter S, Vasardani M, Zhou S. Place descriptions by landmarks. Journal of Spatial Science. Spatial Sciences Institute. 2016.
- Vasardani M, Winter S. Place Properties. Advancing Geographic Information Science: The Past and Next Twenty Years. GSDI Association Press. 2016. Editors: Onsrud H, Kuhn W.
- Wijewardena GG, Vasardani M, Winter S. Towards indoor localization and navigation independent of sensor based technologies. Proceedings of the 8th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on Indoor Spatial Awareness, ISA 2016. 2016.
- Dittrich A, Vasardani M, Winter S, Liu F, Baldwin T. A classification schema for fast disambiguation of spatial prepositions. 6th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on GeoStreaming (IWGS). 2015.
- Chan K, Vasardani M, Winter S. Getting Lost in Cities: Spatial Patterns of Phonetically Confusing Street Names. TRANSACTIONS IN GIS. Blackwell. 2015, Vol. 19, Issue 4.
- Chen H, Vasardani M, Winter S. Maintaining relational consistency in a graph-based place database. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. 2015, Vol. 1323.
- Liu F, Vasardani M, Baldwin T. Automatic identification of locative expressions from social media text: A comparative analysis. International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, Proceedings. 2014.
- Chan K, Vasardani M, Winter S. Leveraging Twitter to detect event names associated with a place. Journal of Spatial Science. Spatial Sciences Institute. 2014, Vol. 59, Issue 1.
- Truelove M, Vasardani M, Winter S. Testing a model of witness accounts in social media. Proceedings of the 8th Workshop on Geographic Information Retrieval, GIR 2014. 2014.
- Truelove M, Vasardani M, Winter S. Towards credibility of micro-blogs: characterising witness accounts. GeoJournal. Kluwer Academic Publishers. 2014, Vol. 80, Issue 3.
Level: 03 Room: 315
Engineering Block D, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 83446932
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile