Dr Saeed Miramini
- Civil Engineering (Non-Destructive Testing of Structures and Materials, Soil Mechanics)
- Computational Modelling
- Mechanobiology (Bone Fracture Healing, Cartilage Biomechanics)
Dr Saeed Miramini is a Research Fellow and Teaching Specialist in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering at the University of Melbourne. He obtained his PhD in Biomedical Engineering from the University of Melbourne in 2015. Dr Miramini is a mechanical engineer by background with an extensive experience in multidisciplinary research and teaching. He applies his mechanical and civil engineering knowledge (e.g. Continuum Mechanics, Theory of Porous Media, Engineering Reliability and Non-Destructive Testing Techniques) to study the mechanobiology of bone and cartilage tissues. This innovative approach helps address global challenges associated with osteoporosis and osteoarthritis conditions. By conducting research in biomedical engineering, he also learns from nature and biology to propose innovative solutions to civil engineering problems, such as the development of self-healing concretes.
Dr Miramini has developed an extensive collaboration network within both academia and industry. He works closely with clinicians, medical device manufacturers and infrastructure industries. His specific research interests include computational modelling of bone fracture healing, rehabilitation engineering, cartilage biomechanics, as well as non-destructive health assessment of structures and engineering reliability.
- Zhang L, Miramini S, Richardson M, Ebeling P, Little D, Yang Y, Huang Z. Computational modelling of bone fracture healing under partial weight-bearing exercise. MEDICAL ENGINEERING & PHYSICS. Pergamon. 2017, Vol. 42. DOI: 10.1016/j.medengphy.2017.01.025
- Maizuar, Zhang L, Miramini S, Mendis P, Thompson R. Detecting structural damage to bridge girders using radar interferometry and computational modelling. STRUCTURAL CONTROL & HEALTH MONITORING. John Wiley & Sons. 2017, Vol. 24, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1002/stc.1985
- Zhang L, Miramini S, Richardson M, Mendis P, Ebeling P. The role of impairment of mesenchymal stem cell function in osteoporotic bone fracture healing. AUSTRALASIAN PHYSICAL & ENGINEERING SCIENCES IN MEDICINE. Australasian College of Physical Scientists and Engineers in Medicine. 2017, Vol. 40, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1007/s13246-017-0566-y
- Miramini S, Zhang L, Richardson M, Mendis P. The Role of Locking Plate Stiffness in Bone Fracture Healing Stabilized by Far Cortical Locking Technique. International Journal of Computational Methods. World Scientific Publishing Co. 2017. DOI: 10.1142/S021987621850024X
- Miramini S, Smith DW, Zhang L, Gardiner BS. The spatio-temporal mechanical environment of healthy and injured human cartilage during sustained activity and its role in cartilage damage. JOURNAL OF THE MECHANICAL BEHAVIOR OF BIOMEDICAL MATERIALS. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 74. DOI: 10.1016/j.jmbbm.2017.05.018
- Miramini S, Zhang L, Richardson M, Mendis P, Ebeling P. Influence of fracture geometry on bone healing under locking plate fixations: A comparison between oblique and transverse tibial fractures. MEDICAL ENGINEERING & PHYSICS. Pergamon. 2016, Vol. 38, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1016/j.medengphy.2016.07.007
- Miramini S, Zhang L, Richardson M, Mendis P, Oloyede A, Ebeling P. The relationship between interfragmentary movement and cell differentiation in early fracture healing under locking plate fixation. AUSTRALASIAN PHYSICAL & ENGINEERING SCIENCES IN MEDICINE. Australasian College of Physical Scientists and Engineers in Medicine. 2016, Vol. 39, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1007/s13246-015-0407-9
- Miramini S, Zhang L, Richardson M, Pirpiris M, Mendis P, Oloyede K, Edwards G. Computational simulation of the early stage of bone healing under different configurations of locking compression plates. COMPUTER METHODS IN BIOMECHANICS AND BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING. Gordon Breach Publishing. 2015, Vol. 18, Issue 8. DOI: 10.1080/10255842.2013.855729
- Zhang L, Miramini S, Mendis P, Richardson M. Osteoporotic bone fracture healing under the locking compression plate system. 6th International Conference on Computational Methods (ICCM). 2015. Editors: Liu GR, Das R.
- Zhang L, Miramini S, Smith DW, Gardiner BS, Grodzinsky AJ. Time Evolution of Deformation in a Human Cartilage Under Cyclic Loading. ANNALS OF BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING. American Institute of Physics. 2015, Vol. 43, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1007/s10439-014-1164-8
- Miramini S, Zhang L, Richardson M, Mendis P. Computational simulation of mechanical microenvironment of early stage of bone healing under locking compression plate with dynamic locking screws. Applied Mechanics and Materials. Trans Tech Publications. 2014, Vol. 553. DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.553.281
- Zhang L, Liu GR, Miramini S, Liu ZS, Mendis P, Richardson M, Pirpiris M, Oloyede A. The effects of flexible fixation on early stage bone fracture healing. 5th Asia Pacific Congress on Computational Mechanics & 4th International Symposium on Computation Mechanics (APCOM & ISCM). Asian Pacific Congress on Computational Mechanics. 2013.
- Zhang L, Miramini S, Mendis P, Richardson M, Pirpiris M, Oloyede K. The Effects of Flexible Fixation on Early Stage Bone Fracture Healing. International Journal of Aerospace and Lightweight Structures. Research Publishing Services. 2013, Vol. 3, Issue 2. DOI: 10.3850/S2010428613000597
- Miramini S, Zhang L, Mendis P, Richardson M. Biomechanical environment of early stage of bone healing under biological internal fixation. 22nd Australasian Conference of Mechanics of Structures and Materials. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2012.
- Miramini S, Mendis P, Richardson M, Zhang L. Computational Modelling of the Mechanical Environment of the Early Stage of Fracture Healing Using Structural Engineering Techniques. ICSECM 2011. ICSECM 2011. 2011, Vol. 1, Issue 1.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile