Dr Mahdi Miri Disfani
- Geotechnical Engineering (Soil Dynamics, Ground Improvement, Discrete Element Modelling)
- Transportation Geotechnics
I graduated in 2003 from Amirkabir University of Technology in Tehran; Iran where later I got a Master of Science Degree in Geotechnical Engineering in 2006. I worked as a geotechnical engineer on design and testing of core and filter of embankment dams in Iran while doing my research on Internal Erosion of Embankment Dam Foundations.
In 2011; I graduated with a PhD in Engineering from Swinburne University of Technology (Australia) where I was awarded the Vice Chancellor Scholarship for the duration of my studies. I worked as a Lecturer in Geotechnical Engineering in Department of Civil and Construction Engineering at Swinburne University of Technology from 2011 until February 2015. During these years I focused on research in field of pavement geotechnics, ground improvement and advanced soil and pavement testing. I developed an interest in Sustainable Geotechnics particularly in application of recycled material in geotechnical engineering applications.
As an Early Career Researcher I have an outstanding track record delivering research outcomes through my success in state government grants, industry grants, refereed publications, and awards.
Since 2011, I have been involved as a Chief Investigator in 9 research projects and I am the lead investigator and project leader in 7 of these projects. My research has led to significant end-user benefits along with benefits to the wider community in terms of knowledge development, field usage of research outputs and development of new specifications and guidelines towards using recycled waste materials in road work applications.
- Karunarathne AMAN, Fardipour M, Gad EF, Rajeev P, Miri Disfani M, Sivanerupan S, Wilson JL. Correction to: Modelling of Climate Induced Moisture Variations and Subsequent Ground Movements in Expansive Soils. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering. 2018. DOI: 10.1007/s10706-018-0500-4
- Lam N, Yong ACY, Lam C, Kwan JSH, Perera JS, Miri Disfani M, Gad E. Displacement-Based Approach for the Assessment of Overturning Stability of Rectangular Rigid Barriers Subjected to Point Impact. JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING MECHANICS. ASCE - American Society of Civil Engineers. 2018, Vol. 144, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0001383
- Yaghoubi E, Miri Disfani M, Arulrajah A, Kodikara J. Impact of compaction method on mechanical characteristics of unbound granular recycled materials. Road Materials and Pavement Design. 2018, Vol. 19, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1080/14680629.2017.1283354
- Al-Taie A, Miri Disfani M, Evans R, Arulrajah A, Horpibulsuk S. Impact of curing on behaviour of basaltic expansive clay. Road Materials and Pavement Design. 2018, Vol. 19, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1080/14680629.2016.1267660
- Mohammadinia A, Miri Disfani M, Narsilio G, Aye L. Mechanical behaviour and load bearing mechanism of high porosity permeable pavements utilizing recycled tire aggregates. Construction and Building Materials. Elsevier BV. 2018, Vol. 168. DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2018.02.179
- Afshar T, Miri Disfani M, Narsilio GA, Arulrajah A. Post-breakage changes in particle properties using synchrotron tomography. POWDER TECHNOLOGY. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 325. DOI: 10.1016/j.powtec.2017.11.039
- Mehdizadeh A, Miri Disfani M, Evans R, Arulrajah A. Progressive Internal Erosion in a Gap-Graded Internally Unstable Soil: Mechanical and Geometrical Effects. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF GEOMECHANICS. ASCE - American Society of Civil Engineers. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)GM.1943-5622.0001085
- Mohammadinia A, Miri Disfani M, Narsilio G, Hemachandra P, Aye L. Application of semi-rigid composite permeable pavements in road network. Geotechnical Innovations and Challenges for Transport Infrastructure. The Australian Geomechanics Society. 2017. Editors: Khabbaz H, Rujikiatkamjorn C.
- Afshar T, Miri Disfani M, Narsilio G, Arulrajah A. Changes to Grain Properties due to Breakage in a Sand Assembly using Synchrotron Tomography. EPJ Web of Conferences. 2017, Vol. 140. DOI: 10.1051/epjconf/201714007004
- Premkumar S, Piratheepan J, Arulrajah A, Miri Disfani M, Rajeev P. Closure to "Experimental study on contact erosion failure in pavement embankment with dispersive clay" by S. Premkumar, J. Piratheepan, A. Arulrajah, M. Disfani, and P. Rajeev. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. American Society of Civil Engineers. 2017, Vol. 29, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0001740
- Narsilio G, Miri Disfani M, Orangi A. Discussion of "Fines Classification Based on Sensitivity to Pore-Fluid Chemistry" by Junbong Jang and J. Carlos Santamarina. JOURNAL OF GEOTECHNICAL AND GEOENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING. ASCE - American Society of Civil Engineers. 2017, Vol. 143, Issue 7. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0001690
- Mehdizadeh A, Miri Disfani M, Evans R. Discussion of "Stress-Strain Behavior of Granular Soils Subjected to Internal Erosion" by C. Chen, L. M. Zhang, and D. S. Chang. JOURNAL OF GEOTECHNICAL AND GEOENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING. ASCE - American Society of Civil Engineers. 2017, Vol. 143, Issue 9. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0001561
- Afshar T, Miri Disfani M, Arulrajah A, Narsilio G, Emam S. Impact of particle shape on breakage of recycled construction and demolition aggregates. POWDER TECHNOLOGY. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 308. DOI: 10.1016/j.powtec.2016.11.043
- Mehdizadeh A, Miri Disfani M, Evans R, Arulrajah A, Ong DEL. Mechanical Consequences of Suffusion on Undrained Behaviour of a Gap-Graded Cohesionless Soil - An Experimental Approach. GEOTECHNICAL TESTING JOURNAL. American Society for Testing and Materials. 2017, Vol. 40, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1520/GTJ20160145
- Miri Disfani M, Tsang H-H, Arulrajah A, Yaghoubi E. Shear and Compression Characteristics of Recycled Glass-Tire Mixtures. JOURNAL OF MATERIALS IN CIVIL ENGINEERING. American Society of Civil Engineers. 2017, Vol. 29, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0001857
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile