Dr Mahdi Miri Disfani
- Geotechnical Engineering (Soil Dynamics, Ground Improvement, Discrete Element Modelling)
- Transportation Geotechnics
I graduated in 2003 from Amirkabir University of Technology in Tehran; Iran where later I got a Master of Science Degree in Geotechnical Engineering in 2006. I worked as a geotechnical engineer on design and testing of core and filter of embankment dams in Iran while doing my research on Internal Erosion of Embankment Dam Foundations.
In 2011; I graduated with a PhD in Engineering from Swinburne University of Technology (Australia) where I was awarded the Vice Chancellor Scholarship for the duration of my studies. I worked as a Lecturer in Geotechnical Engineering in Department of Civil and Construction Engineering at Swinburne University of Technology from 2011 until February 2015. During these years I focused on research in field of pavement geotechnics, ground improvement and advanced soil and pavement testing. I developed an interest in Sustainable Geotechnics particularly in application of recycled material in geotechnical engineering applications.
As an Early Career Researcher I have an outstanding track record delivering research outcomes through my success in state government grants, industry grants, refereed publications, and awards.
Since 2011, I have been involved as a Chief Investigator in 9 research projects and I am the lead investigator and project leader in 7 of these projects. My research has led to significant end-user benefits along with benefits to the wider community in terms of knowledge development, field usage of research outputs and development of new specifications and guidelines towards using recycled waste materials in road work applications.
- Premkumar S, Piratheepan J, Arulrajah A, Miri Disfani M, Rajeev P. Closure to "Experimental study on contact erosion failure in pavement embankment with dispersive clay" by S. Premkumar, J. Piratheepan, A. Arulrajah, M. Disfani, and P. Rajeev. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. American Society of Civil Engineers. 2017, Vol. 29, Issue 5.
- Yaghoubi E, Miri Disfani M, Arulrajah A, Kodikara J. Impact of compaction method on mechanical characteristics of unbound granular recycled materials. Road Materials and Pavement Design. 2017.
- Afshar T, Miri Disfani M, Arulrajah A, Narsilio G, Emam S. Impact of particle shape on breakage of recycled construction and demolition aggregates. POWDER TECHNOLOGY. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 308.
- Mehdizadeh A, Miri Disfani M, Evans R, Arulrajah A, Ong DEL. Discussion of "Development of an Internal Camera-Based Volume Determination System for Triaxial Testing" by S. E. Salazar, A. Barnes, and R. A. Coffman. The Technical Note Was Published in Geotechnical Testing Journal, Vol. 38, No. 4, 2015. DOI: 10.1520/GTJ20140249. GEOTECHNICAL TESTING JOURNAL. American Society for Testing and Materials. 2016, Vol. 39, Issue 1.
- Premkumar S, Piratheepan J, Arulrajah A, Miri Disfani M, Rajeev P. Experimental Study on Contact Erosion Failure in Pavement Embankment with Dispersive Clay. JOURNAL OF MATERIALS IN CIVIL ENGINEERING. American Society of Civil Engineers. 2016, Vol. 28, Issue 4.
- Yong A, Lam N, Miri Disfani M, Gad E. Impact Actions on Rockfall Protection Barrier. 2016 Australasian Structural Engineers Conference (ASEC). Engineers Australia. 2016.
- Yaghoubi E, Miri Disfani M, Arulrajah A, Kodikara J. Impact of Compaction Methods on Resilient Response of Unsaturated Granular Pavement Material. 3rd International Conference on Transportation Geotechnics (ICTG). Elsevier BV. 2016, Vol. 143. Editors: Correia AG.
- Al-Taie A, Miri Disfani M, Evans R, Arulrajah A, Horpibulsuk S. Impact of curing on behaviour of basaltic expansive clay. Road Materials and Pavement Design. 2016.
- Karunarathne AMAN, Gad EF, Miri Disfani M, Sivanerupan S, Wilson JL. Review of calculation procedures of thornthwaite moisture index and its impact on footing design. Australian Geomechanics Journal. Australian Geomechanics Society. 2016, Vol. 51, Issue 1.
- Arulrajah A, Kua T-A, Phetchuay C, Horpibulsuk S, Mahghoolpilehrood F, Miri Disfani M. Spent Coffee Grounds-Fly Ash Geopolymer Used as an Embankment Structural Fill Material. JOURNAL OF MATERIALS IN CIVIL ENGINEERING. American Society of Civil Engineers. 2016, Vol. 28, Issue 5.
- Arulrajah A, Sanjayan J, Miri Disfani M, Bo MW, Darmawan S. Stabilization of Demolition Materials for Pavement Base/Subbase Applications Using Fly Ash and Slag Geopolymers: Laboratory Investigation. JOURNAL OF MATERIALS IN CIVIL ENGINEERING. American Society of Civil Engineers. 2016, Vol. 28, Issue 7.
- Mehdizadeh A, Miri Disfani M, Evans R, Gad E, Escobar A, Jennings W. Static load testing of concrete free reticulated micropiles system. 5th International Conference on Geotechnical and Geophysical Site Characterisation (ISC). 2016, Vol. 2.
- Mohammadinia A, Arulrajah A, Sanjayan J, Miri Disfani M, Bo MW, Darmawan S. Strength Development and Microfabric Structure of Construction and Demolition Aggregates Stabilized with Fly Ash-Based Geopolymers. JOURNAL OF MATERIALS IN CIVIL ENGINEERING. American Society of Civil Engineers. 2016, Vol. 28, Issue 11.
- Al-Taie A, Miri Disfani M, Evans R, Arulrajah A, Horpibulsuk S. Swell-Shrink Cycles of Lime Stabilized Expansive Subgrade. 3rd International Conference on Transportation Geotechnics (ICTG). Elsevier BV. 2016, Vol. 143. Editors: Correia AG.
- Le TM, Fatahi B, Miri Disfani M, Khabbaz H. Analyzing consolidation data to obtain elastic viscoplastic parameters of clay. GEOMECHANICS AND ENGINEERING. Techno-Press. 2015, Vol. 8, Issue 4.
Level: 02 Room: 206
Engineering Block B, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 + 61383445972
F: +61 3 + 61383444616
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile