Professor Mark Stevenson
Professor Mark Stevenson is an epidemiologist and Professor of Urban Transport and Public Health. Prior to this appointment, Prof Stevenson was Director of the Monash University Accident Research Centre, a transport safety research centre in Melbourne, Australia.
Prof Stevenson has a PhD (Distinction) from The University of Western Australia and a Master’s degree in Public Health from Curtin University and became a Fellow of the Australasian College of Road Safety in 2008. He is a National Health and Medical Research Council (Australia) Fellow, an Honorary Professor in the Peking University Health Science Centre, China, and an advisor for injury to the Director General of the World Health Organisation. Prof Stevenson has published over 220 peer-reviewed articles, books, book chapters and technical reports and procured more than $33 million in competitive research funding including funding from the NHMRC, ARC and the US National Institutes of Health.
Prof Stevenson has worked on numerous national and international projects that have directly influenced transport policy and worked with both Federal and State Governments in Australia and internationally. He has led many research groups and is internationally recognized in the field of transport and public health. He currently heads a cross-disciplinary team at the University of Melbourne focused around urban design, transport and population health. In this unique role, which sits across 3 schools, namely, the Melbourne School of Design, Melbourne School of Engineering and the Melbourne School of Population and Global Health, Prof Stevenson contributes to:
i. the scientific evidence associated with the interface between urban design, transport and population health
ii. initiatives and delivery of innovative and sustainable transport solutions
iii. translating the science to relevant urban, transport and health policies and practice and
iv. research training and leadership in the field.
- Stevenson M, Faruque S, Almajil A, Farhan M, Fildes B, Lawrence B. An evaluation of the red-light camera programme in the city of Dammam, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. International Journal of Injury Control and Safety Promotion. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2017, Vol. 24, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1080/17457300.2015.1132732
- Meuleners L, Fraser ML, Govorko MH, Stevenson M. Determinants of the occupational environment and heavy vehicle crashes in Western Australia: A case-control study. ACCIDENT ANALYSIS AND PREVENTION. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 99. DOI: 10.1016/j.aap.2015.11.023
- Newnam S, Goode N, Salmon P, Stevenson M. Reforming the road freight transportation system using systems thinking: An investigation of Coronial inquests in Australia. ACCIDENT ANALYSIS AND PREVENTION. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 101. DOI: 10.1016/j.aap.2017.01.016
- Walker C, Thompson J, Stevenson M. Road trauma among young Australians: Implementing policy to reduce road deaths and serious injury. TRAFFIC INJURY PREVENTION. Taylor & Francis. 2017, Vol. 18, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1080/15389588.2016.1212189
- O'Hern S, Oxley J, Stevenson M. Validation of a bicycle simulator for road safety research. ACCIDENT ANALYSIS AND PREVENTION. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 100. DOI: 10.1016/j.aap.2017.01.002
- Warmerdam A, Newnam S, Sheppard D, Griffin M, Stevenson M. Workplace road safety risk management: An investigation, into Australian practices. ACCIDENT ANALYSIS AND PREVENTION. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 98. DOI: 10.1016/j.aap.2016.09.014
- Thompson J, Savino G, Stevenson M. A model of behavioural adaptation as a contributor to the safety-in-numbers effect for cyclists. TRANSPORTATION RESEARCH PART A-POLICY AND PRACTICE. Pergamon. 2016, Vol. 85. DOI: 10.1016/j.tra.2015.12.004
- Beck B, Stevenson M, Newstead S, Cameron P, Judson R, Edwards ER, Bucknill A, Johnson M, Gabbe B. Bicycling crash characteristics: An in-depth crash investigation study. ACCIDENT ANALYSIS AND PREVENTION. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 96. DOI: 10.1016/j.aap.2016.08.012
- Giles-Corti W, Vernez-Moudon A, Reis R, Turrell G, Dannenberg AL, Badland H, Foster S, Lowe M, Sallis JF, Stevenson M, Owen N. City planning and population health: a global challenge. LANCET. Lancet. 2016, Vol. 388, Issue 10062. DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(16)30066-6
- Stevenson M, Thompson J, De Sa TH, Ewing R, Mohan D, McClure R, Roberts I, Tiwari G, Giles-Corti W, Sun X, Wallace M, Woodcock J. Land use, transport, and population health: estimating the health benefits of compact cities. LANCET. Lancet. 2016, Vol. 388, Issue 10062. DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(16)30067-8
- Meuleners LB, Ng J, Chow K, Stevenson M. Motor Vehicle Crashes and Dementia: A Population-Based Study. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN GERIATRICS SOCIETY. Blackwell Publishers. 2016, Vol. 64, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1111/jgs.14109
- Sallis JF, Bull F, Burdett R, Frank LD, Griffiths P, Giles-Corti W, Stevenson M. Use of science to guide city planning policy and practice: how to achieve healthy and sustainable future cities. LANCET. Lancet. 2016, Vol. 388, Issue 10062. DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(16)30068-X
- Too L, Spittal M, Bugeja L, Milner A, Stevenson M, McClure R. An investigation of neighborhood-level social, economic and physical factors for railway suicide in Victoria, Australia. JOURNAL OF AFFECTIVE DISORDERS. Elsevier Science. 2015, Vol. 183. DOI: 10.1016/j.jad.2015.05.006
- Stevenson M, Dang VH, Thanh HH, Luong MA, Tu NTH, Ngoan LT. Evaluation of the Vietnamese A6 Mortality Reporting System: All-Cause Mortality. ASIA-PACIFIC JOURNAL OF PUBLIC HEALTH. Asia-Pacific Academic Consortium for Public Health. 2015, Vol. 27, Issue 7. DOI: 10.1177/1010539515602742
- Howard M, Jackson M, Stevenson M. Who Needs Sleep Apnea Treatment for Safety Critical Tasks-Are We There Yet?. SLEEP. American Academy of Sleep Medicine. 2015, Vol. 38, Issue 3. DOI: 10.5665/sleep.4478
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile