Professor Ian Young
- Marine Engineering (Ocean Wind & Waves)
- Ocean Engineering (Ocean Waves)
- Physical Oceanography (Ocean Climate)
Professor Ian Young holds the position of Kernot Professor of Engineering at the University of Melbourne as well as a number of business roles including: Chair of the Board of VERNet Pty Ltd, Executive Chair of PAL Digital Pty Ltd, Chief Executive of Conviro Pty Ltd and President of CloudCampus Pty Ltd. He was previously the Vice-Chancellor and President of The Australian National University (ANU), a position he held until his retirement in February 2016. Prior to joining ANU, Professor Young held the position of Vice-Chancellor at Swinburne University of Technology (2003 – 2011), the dual positions of Executive Dean of the Faculty of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences and Pro Vice-Chancellor (International) at the University of Adelaide, as well as positions at the University of New South Wales, James Cook University (JCU), and the Max Planck Institut für Meteorologie, Germany. Professor Young has also held many positions associated with education and research including: President of Education Australia Ltd., Board Member of IDP Education Australia Ltd., Board Member of Open Universities Australia Ltd., Member of the Australian Qualifications Framework Council, Board Member of the Business Higher Education Round Table, Chair of the Learning Capital Council, Board Member and Deputy Chair of Universities Australia and Chair of the Group of Eight. Professor Young has published more than 100 journal papers, 80 refereed conference papers and is author of 3 books. As a result of his research interests he has been Chair of the United Nations International Waves in Shallow Environments Group, and a technical advisor to the US Navy and NASA. He is an Honorary Fellow of the Institution of Engineers, Australia and a Fellow of the Academic of Technological Sciences & Engineering. In 2003, he was awarded a Centenary Medal for services to Australian society, and in 2012 he was appointed an Officer in the General Division of the Order of Australia. Professor Young obtained his Bachelor’s Degree (Hons) in Civil Engineering, Master of Engineering Sciences in Coastal Engineering and PhD in Ocean Engineering from James Cook University.
- Liu Q, Zieger S, Young I, Guan C. Wind and Wave Climate in the Arctic Ocean as Observed by Altimeters. JOURNAL OF CLIMATE. American Meteorological Society. 2016, Vol. 29, Issue 22.
- Young I, Zieger S, Babanin A. DEVELOPMENT AND APPLICATION OF A GLOBAL SATELLITE DATABASE OF WIND AND WAVE CONDITIONS. 34th ASME International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering (OMAE2015). ASME International. 2015, Vol. 7.
- Zieger S, Erick Rogers W, Young I. Observation-based source terms in the third-generation wave model WAVEWATCH. Ocean Modelling. Elsevier Science. 2015, Vol. 96.
- Zieger S, Babanin A, Rogers WE, Young I. Observation-based source terms in the third-generation wave model WAVEWATCH. OCEAN MODELLING. Elsevier Science. 2015, Vol. 96.
- Zieger S, Young I. Changes in ocean surface wind with a focus on trends in regional and monthly mean values. DEEP-SEA RESEARCH PART I-OCEANOGRAPHIC RESEARCH PAPERS. Elsevier. 2014, Vol. 86.
- Gallop SL, Young I, Ranasinghe R, Durrant TH, Haigh ID. The large-scale influence of the Great Barrier Reef matrix on wave attenuation. CORAL REEFS. Springer Verlag. 2014, Vol. 33, Issue 4.
- Young I, Vinoth J. A Parametric Model for Tropical Cyclone Waves. Proceedings of the International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering - OMAE. 2013, Vol. 2 A.
- Young I, Vinoth J. A parametric model of tropical Cyclone Waves. Coasts and Ports 2013. 2013.
- Young I, Vinoth J. An "extended fetch" model for the spatial distribution of tropical cyclone wind-waves as observed by altimeter. OCEAN ENGINEERING. Elsevier. 2013, Vol. 70.
- Young I, Zieger S, Vinoth J, Babanin A. GLOBAL TRENDS IN EXTREME WIND SPEED AND WAVE HEIGHT. 32nd ASME International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering. ASME International. 2013, Vol. 2 A.
- Ribal A, Young I, Toffoli A, Stiassnie M. Recurrent solutions of the Alber equation initialized by Joint North Sea Wave Project spectra. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2013, Vol. 719.
- Young I, Zieger S. The Decay Rate of Ocean Swell Observed by Altimeter. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL OCEANOGRAPHY. American Meteorological Society. 2013, Vol. 43, Issue 11.
- Galchenko A, Babanin A, Chalikov D, Young I, Haus BK. Influence of Wind Forcing on Modulation and Breaking of One-Dimensional Deep-Water Wave Groups. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL OCEANOGRAPHY. American Meteorological Society. 2012, Vol. 42, Issue 6.
- Young I, Vinoth J, Zieger S. Investigation of trends in extreme value wave height and wind speed. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-OCEANS. American Geophysical Union. 2012, Vol. 117, Issue 3.
- Vinoth J, Young I. Global Estimates of Extreme Wind Speed and Wave Height. JOURNAL OF CLIMATE. American Meteorological Society. 2011, Vol. 24, Issue 6.
Level: 04 Room: C406A
Engineering Block C, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 03 8344 2693
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile